Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tonight's Share



I have had an incredibly interesting day today. It was full, rich and good. It had it's highs and it had it's lows, but most importantly, it was challenging. I was forced to think today. I was forced to put myself outside of my boundaries, to change my perspective and look at the world through many different people's eyes.

I've been learning a tremendous amount of important things over these past few months. I could get into the nitty gritty of it or we can just talk the next time I see you. As my brother said, "we are put on this earth to talk to people, why else would we be here?"

The reason for this post is to share something I read in Rolling Stone today. I thought it was inspiring and full of truth and very optimistic. It is incredibly positive and definitely makes you think about how the world has changed, and how we are going to choose to respond to it.

Here ya go:

We surf the Internet.
We swim in magazines.

The Internet is exhilarating. Magazines are enveloping. The Internet grabs you. Magazines embrace you. The Internet is impulsive. Magazines are immersive. And both media are growing.

Barely noticed amidst the thunderous Internet clamor is the simple fact that magazine readership has risen over the past five years. Even in the age of the Internet, even among the groups one would assume are most singularly hooked on digital media, the appeal of magazines is growing.

Think of it this way: during the 12-year life of Google, magazine readership actually increased 11 percent.

What it proves, once again, is that a new medium doesn't necessarily displace an existing one. Just as movies didn't kill radio. Just as TV didn't kill movies. An established medium can continue to flourish so long as it continues to offer a unique experience. And, as reader loyalty and growth demonstrate, magazines do.

Which is why people aren't giving up swimming, just because they also enjoy surfing.